• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper [Freeware]

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

ThumperTM

La Patróna
Aug 18, 2010
Download Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper for Offline Scan and Start Unbootable PC

After releasing two free anti-virus tools, Microsoft Safety Scanner and Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft has also released a beta version of recovery tool that can help the users to start their infected PC when all other anti-virus solutions failed. The Microsoft recovery tool is called as Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper, which is being designed to reboot the infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits as well as other advanced malware. Besides working as a recovery tool, it also can be used when the installed anti-virus solutions can’t be started, and detect or remove malware on the PC.

33064291486208841986.jpg

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta is not a replacement for a full antivirus solution that provides ongoing real-time protection. In fact, the software intends to be kind of last resource to be used in situations where you cannot start your PC due to a virus or other malware infection.

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper is currently in beta, and it’s available in 32-bit and 64-bit version. Windows users who like to download the free Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta to start up or clean their PCs from virus infection can download the http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper from Microsoft Connect.

Alternatively, you may download through the below direct download link for Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta 32bit and 64bit:

Download Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta version (1.0.856.0):

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta (32 bit): mssstool32.exe
Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta (64 bit): mssstool64.exe

Note that to create a bootable media which can be used to recover a PC, users need to prepare a blank CD, DVD or USB drive with at lease 250MB of space to allow Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper to install necessary files. In addition, to use the bootable media to recover a PC, the bootable media must have same system architecture (32-bit or the 64-bit) as the Windows operating system of the computer infected with a virus or malware.

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta supports Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista (RTM, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2, or higher) and Windows 7 (RTM, Service Pack 1, or higher).

I think that I had a 'touch of down' when I accidentally installed a Linux iso over my backup external. Really hope this works.

Back